Little Feet Childcare centre is committed to the protection of children under their care from any accidental injuries.
- To reduce the potential for injuries.
- To ensure prompt, efficient and appropriate treatment is available to all children.
- To ensure correct procedures are followed in the event of injury.
Injury Prevention Strategies:
- Staff will take all reasonable steps to eliminate, minimise or isolate potential dangers from things such as toys in traffic ways, liquid spills, sharp objects etc.
- All doors to adult access areas i.e. kitchen, laundry, entrance-exit ways, and resource rooms will be closed or locked at all times to ensure children do not have access to these areas.
- All chemicals will be stored in marked containers and be kept out of the reach of children at all times. This will include cleaning agents.
- Hot drinks will be consumed in staff only access areas and use a covered cup will be used while outside these areas.
- Children will remain seated while eating or drinking and will be supervised by a staff member.
- Children are not allowed to climb gates, sit on tables, or jump off furniture and chairs at all times.
- Toddlers and infants should be buckled up while being seated on the high chair at all times.
- Small toys which can cause a child to choke on should be kept out of reach of the children who are under the age of 3years at all times.
- All children should be supervised while in the play area at all times and staff has to ensure that children use the slides in a correct and safe manner.
- Resources provided for children will be non-toxic e.g paint, crayons.
- Children to be supervised when using the bathroom and any water spills to be wiped off immediately to prevent any fall.
- At any one time, there will be two staff/educators on duty with current first aid certificates.
- The Centre Supervisor will ensure that details of all parent current contact numbers and at least one additional emergency contact are easily accessible and kept up to date monthly.
- In case of any accident our priority will be to administer the first aid immediately by the witnessing staff member or person responsible, and to inform the Centre Supervisor.
- The staff member who administers first aid is to record what happened, action taken and day and time in the accident register.
- If necessary, the staff will contact parents and request them to take the child to their doctor.
- For any accident, ensure that the parents are informed. Staff will inform the parents when their child is collected and ensure they sign the accident register.
- If necessary, the Ambulance Service will be called. Parents will be contacted immediately, and depending on traffic or location, may arrange to meet ambulance at the hospital. If a parent is not present at the time of transfer, a staff member will travel and stay with the child while in hospital until parents arrive.
- If any child is taken to hospital, the Manager must be informed immediately.